A site plan and photograph of the proposed structure are required.
The City of Trotwood accepts no responsibility for the placement of a fence on the applicant’s property or misplaced onto a neighbor’s property. Fences placed within a utility easement may be subject to damage or removal at the owner’s expense if necessitated by utility company access. Additionally, by signing this application, the applicant, the owner, or agent of the owner, is exempt in the City of any liability for illegal or inappropriate placement of the appropriate fence.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
When is a fence permit required?
Prior to erecting or replacing a fence, or planting a hedge row that would function as a fence.
What do I have to do to receive a permit?
♦ Complete a Fence Permit application and submit to the Zoning Administrator’s Office. The Fence Permit application must show the location of all proposed and existing fences, retaining walls and hedges which act as dividers.
♦ The information on the application shall be in compliance with the requirements of Chapter 1189.04 of the Zoning Code.
♦ The information on the application should be in compliance with the requirements of the applicable zoning district for your property. District information is found in Chapters 1140 through 1155, 1171, 1173. For more information click here.
What’s the next step?
When a review of the application is completed you will be notified by email that the application has been approved, or that additional information is required. The review period is normally a minimum of two (2) business days.
♦ Please see attached Section 1189.04, Fences, Walls and Hedges, of the Trotwood Zoning Code for fence requirements.
♦ Electric and barbed wire fences are prohibited in Residential Districts.
♦ Chain link, wire and steel mesh fences are not allowed in the front yard.
♦ Front yard fences have special requirements.
♦ All fence permit fees are $50.00.
If you have any questions a staff member in the Zoning Administration Office is available to assist you Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at 937-854-7227.
TROTWOOD ZONING CODE 1189.04 FENCES, WALLS AND HEDGES.
Fences, walls and hedges shall be regulated as follows:
(a) Decorative front yard fences and walls shall be regulated as follows:
(1) Decorative front yard fences and walls may be permitted provided that they do not create an
enclosure, a barrier for access or a divider between properties.
(2) Decorative front yard fences shall not exceed three (3) feet in height within the required front yard. Decorative front yard walls, when built of solid masonry or stone materials, shall not exceed two (2) feet in height within the required front yard.
(3) The length of a decorative front yard fence or wall shall not exceed fifty percent (50%) of the property frontage as measured at the public right-of- way. For the purposes of this Code, corner lots shall be considered as having two frontages.
(4) Support posts for decorative fences and walls shall not exceed forty-two (42) inches in height when used in conjunction with minimum spans of six feet. Masonry and stone posts not exceeding two (2) feet on any side may be permitted.
(5) A minimum of fifty percent (50%) visibility must be maintained through the decorative fence.
(6) In no case, shall chain link, wire or steel mesh be permitted in the front yard.
(b) Other fences, walls and hedges shall be regulated as follows:
(1) No fence, walls, hedges or plantings, when used as a divider, permitted to exceed three (3) feet in height within a required front yard.
(2) No fences, walls, hedges or planting shall be permitted to interfere with visibility to or from a driveway.
(3) All fences, walls and hedges adjacent to any public sidewalk shall be set back at least three feet from such sidewalk.
(4) Within a side or rear yard, no fence or wall structure shall be permitted to exceed six (6) feet in height from its base to its top.
(5) The use of barbed wire for fencing purposes shall only be permitted in the industrial and agricultural districts.
(6) Prior to the erection, construction or placement of a fence or wall, all property owners shall either have their respective lots surveyed or sign a waiver which exempts the City from liability for illegal or improper placement which has resulted from the submission of incorrect or misleading information.
(7) No fence shall be erected, constructed or placed so as to interfere with the provision of adequate light and air.
(8) No fill or earthen berm, which results in a change of existing grade in developed or built-up areas of the City, shall be used to accommodate the placement of a fence or wall.
(9) No fence shall be constructed so as to alter the natural drainage of an existing property.
(10) A fence permit shall be required to be obtained from the Zoning Administrator for the erection, construction or placement of all proposed fences, walls and front yard hedges.
(11) Fences used in conjunction with tennis courts and back stops for ball fields shall be exempt from the height limitations; however, in no case, shall a tennis court or back stop be more than twelve (12) feet in height.
(12) All fences shall be installed so that support posts and other support mechanisms face the inside part of the fence.